Lecturer Pool - Philosophy (508003)
Description : Department Summary
The Department of Philosophy ( is one of ten departments and schools in the College of Humanities and the Arts ( and offers Philosophy BA and MA programs.
We value and engage with a plurality of philosophical traditions and styles, as well as the perspectives of our diverse community of faculty and students.
We are committed to creating learning environments, a departmental culture, and a larger philosophical community that welcomes all who want to explore philosophy.
The Department of Philosophy and San José State University value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values.
SJSU enrolls more than 36,000 students, many of whom are historically underserved, and around 45% are first- generation and 38% are Pell-recipients.
SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution.
The university’s commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni.
As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Brief Description of Duties
Faculty shall collaborate with department curriculum committee and General Education course coordinators to develop curriculum, including : (a) creating syllabi, assignments, classroom activities;
b) participating in faculty meetings and professional development; (c) providing data for assessment of outcomes.
- The candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity in age, abilities, cultural background, ethnicity, religion, economic background, primary language, sexual orientation, gender identity, and academic preparation through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- Faculty shall organize all their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) .
- All classes must be offered and meet as scheduled throughout the entire semester or term, in the mode assigned and listed in the schedule of classes (i.
e., asynchronous, synchronous, bichronous, in-person, or hybrid).
- Applicants must have an MA or higher degree in Philosophy.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Experience teaching university-level philosophy courses to a diverse population.
- Experience teaching courses such as critical thinking, introduction to philosophy, contemporary moral issues, professional and business ethics, ancient philosophy, modern philosophy, Asian philosophy, etc.
- Experience developing and teaching online courses.
- Experience with professional development as demonstrated by participation in workshops, conferences, or research in the field.
Salary Range - Commensurate with experience within ranks established by the .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents :
- Cover Letter that addresses qualifications and teaching philosophy as it applies to this position
- List of References
- Teaching evaluations from recently taught courses, if available.
This is a continuing open position.
The work for this faculty position is located in the State of California. Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Proof of immunization against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and / or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association.
These provisions state the Order of Work, or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.
San José State University : Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley one of the most innovative regions in the world is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West.
The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural, and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area, and California.
SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity / expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities.
Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.