Business System Specialist (503655)
Description : Job Summary
The Business Systems Analyst resides within Facilities Development & Operations and serves as the primary IT liaison with Administrative Technology and University Computing and Telecommunications.
This position is responsible for systems implementation and administration within Facilities Development & Operations including but not limited to : software applications / upgrades, database administration, security management, training, storage management, backup management, and network interfacing.
The Analyst develops and maintains a quality information system to support Executive Order 847 with the objective of raising the department to a level of data processing compatible with campus systems and industry standards.
Provides strategic planning, analysis and advice to management for all computer applications and operating systems utilized by Facilities Development & Operations.
Serve as a subject matter expert to coordinate, implement, and support all aspects of an enterprise level system comprised of diverse hardware and applications : including vendor relations, system and application administration, database integrity, backups, business continuity, and reporting, for the Facilities Information Management System (TMA), a system generating service work and the data source for monthly customer billings;
including vendor relations, system and application administration, database integrity, backups, software upgrades, and business continuity related to the Energy Management System (EMS)
- Serve as a subject matter expert to coordinate, implement, and support all aspects of an enterprise level system : including vendor relations, system and application administration, database integrity, backups, software upgrades and business continuity related to Building Information Modeling (MetaBIM) a system managing computer visualization (CAD) and inventory of the facility
- Serve as a subject matter expert to coordinate, implement, and support all aspects of an enterprise level system comprised of diverse hardware and applications : including vendor relations, system and application administration, database integrity, backups, software upgrades, and business continuity related to the Campus security and access control systems such as cameras, alarms and badging
- Oversee third party application support agreements. Liaison with Administrative University Technology regarding the database service level support agreement
- Update and execute test scripts to validate system setup / configuration, data conversions, application updates, system nomenclature, and patches that will improve system performance / effectiveness
- Review and analyze implementation issues including application documentation and output to identify solutions and / or make appropriate referrals of issues
- Develop or assist in developing and / or updating system documentation such as business process guides, configuration guides, end user training guides, report requests, and application specifications
- Produce and distribute regularly scheduled reports utilizing reporting tools
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement new technologies that improve the performance and effectiveness of Facilities Development and Operations
- Collaborate with management to develop and maintain annual and strategic Information systems and technology plans for Facilities Development and Operations
- Maintain technical currency by keeping skills up to date through training, conferences, reading and collaboration with peer groups
- Maintain effective department communications for all areas of responsibility
- Develop and conduct periodic training sessions for Department staff and external users.
- Document policy, procedures and standards as they relate to application software and workflow
- Maintain list of all IT equipment and devices assigned and / or purchased by FD&O. Make recommendations to Management
- Continuous development and maintenance of Web sites for functional areas within Facilities Development and Operations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of data administration principles and techniques
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases, virtual machines, networking, system integration and disaster recovery
- Demonstrated experience in hardware systems such as desktops, Chromebooks, security appliances and barcode scanners
- Demonstrated expertise in major systems implementation with preferred experience with an enterprise facilities maintenance management application
- Working knowledge of data and file structures, database systems and related utilities, operating systems, and communication interface programs
- Ability to perform system, database, and network maintenance tasks and to use standard software packages
- Demonstrated experience with Single Sign On, VLANs, Access Controls, APIs, HTML, XML and SQL
- Demonstrated experience in CAD and GIS technologies and systems, ability to read drawings such as architectural, surveys, plumbing and floor plans
- Knowledge of various IT implementation standards and processes, ability to integrate across campus teams
- Ability to prepare reports and interpret policies and procedures covering a wide range of budget, contract and accounting procedures
- Ability to make timely decisions and perform a wide variety of administrative duties independently; ability to effectively plan, assign, coordinate and lead an IT team
- Ability to source, correlate and analyze computerized records, and to research and correct computer data errors
- Ability to develop, design databases, and create reports as related to defined duties.
- Ability to work independently; communicate and write effectively; make constructive recommendations; interpret and apply fiscal policies and procedures;
and work cooperatively with contractors, vendors, architects, engineers, campus personnel, and representatives of public and private agencies
- Ability to assess training needs and to develop and conduct formal training programs.
- Must have excellent written and presentation skills; Ability to present ideas and concepts
- Ability to communicate effectively and work harmoniously with a diverse group of individuals throughout the organization as well as those outside of the organization who are directly or indirectly involved with projects and / or assignments.
Work often requires active problem solving and effective interpersonal skills
Ability to initiate, establish, and foster a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere while establishing effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study
- Three years of experience supporting information systems and technology
- Three years or more with experience in information technology including system design and analysis, network design, application design, database design, system integration, virtual systems, computer hardware, implementation and project management of information technology with professional, business, or municipal systems
- Experience in support and maintenance of Facility applications for inventory, security, CAD and workflow automation
- Experience working in a large physical plant environment is highly desirable
Classification : Information Technology Consultant - Career
Anticipated Hiring Range : up to $6,585 / month
Salary Range : $4,372 / month - $10,792 / month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the .
This position is open until filled.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents :
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so.
Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment.
The system wide policy can be found at and questions may be sent to .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and / or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information.
Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes : criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and / or credit check may be required.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting.
SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).