Location : San José
Categories : Unit 6 - Teamsters Local 2010, Probationary, Full Time, Trades
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director, Maintenance & Operations, and receiving work lead direction from Facility Project Supervisor, the Painter is responsible for providing the full range of skilled painting, finishing and related work maintaining a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces and structures, to ensure a clean, safe and attractive learning environment.
The position makes decisions based upon sound maintenance practice.
- Performs various types of preventative maintenance, including scraping, sanding, taping, covering, sealing voids, removing parts, and touch-ups
- Prepares for painting, and paints interior / exterior of college facility structures. Moves and covers furniture and equipment to prepare for painting
- Operates hand and power tools for the preparation and completion of painting process
- Inspects surfaces and surrounding areas for needed maintenance or repair
- Operates paint mixing and coloring devices for preparation of materials.
- Operates utility cart, scissor lift, forklift (as certified) for painting and transporting materials, personnel, and waste
- Reports problems and needed repairs to be documented and scheduled
- Unlocks and secures facility areas to access equipment, items to be repaired and / or maintained
- Consults and works with other trade workers for completion of repairs and remodels
- Operates radio or cellular phone for communication of urgent needs, critical information and status updates
- Records work details in log sheets and keeps time records to assists in completion of documentation
- Uses computer for communicating, researching painting-related items, documenting job duties, and recording time logs
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, trainings and functions
- Maintains clean work areas, tools, equipment and associated structures
- Uses protective equipment, as required, for personal safety
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the painting trade including painting, finishing, drywall, and paperhanging
- Thorough knowledge of the applicable state codes and regulations, including the Safety Orders of the Division of Industrial Safety of the State of California
- Ability to apply paints and finishes neatly and accurately
- Ability to mix paints and finishes and match colors
- Ability to erect and work from scaffolds, rigging and ladders
- Ability to select the most appropriate materials
- Ability to read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings, and specifications; and to make rough sketches
- Ability to estimate cost, time and materials of painting work
- Ability to maintain records and retrieve data using manual and / or computerized record-keeping systems; and to prepare standard reports
- Ability to provide instruction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants
- Ability to analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the position and to perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position.
Ability to learn and maintain knowledge of a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures pertaining to assigned duties
- Ability to implement a positive customer service approach, with a commitment to high ethical standards, while maintaining focus on solving problems or issues effectively and in a professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively and work harmoniously with a diverse group of individuals who are directly or indirectly involved with assignments and projects
- Ability to foster and participate in a positive, cooperative, productive teamwork focused atmosphere and maintain positive working relationships with a diverse population including those from various backgrounds
- Ability to understand and embrace priorities for work assignments while also maintaining flexibility to accommodate changes while meeting deadlines despite intermittent interruptions
- Ability to operationalize sustainability concepts (economic justice, social justice, environmental justice) into all aspects of performing job duties
- Ability to perform strenuous work in potentially hazardous environments
- Ability to pass a physical which enables the use of a half-face respirator
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and maintain a driving record that allows for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required in the performance of duties
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam
Must possess those abilities normally acquired through any combination of progressively responsible training and experience which demonstrates achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to that acquired through completion of a standard painter’s apprenticeship program.
Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
Experience painting large commercial buildings. Interior and exterior experience preferred.
Classification : Painter
Anticipated Hiring Range : up to $5,672 / month
CSU Hiring Range : $5,402 / month - $6,904 / month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .